Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Step by step

Today was a good day.  Pretty boring, but I'm starting to feel more independent.  I was able to take Beau for a short walk today, when over the weekend I couldn't make it 10 yards down the street w/o being in so much pain I had to stop. I put on a shirt with sleeves today for the first time since the surgery, a loose one, but it still has sleeves!  I also have just enough flexibility to successfully change my drain all by myself. :)  Its the little things that make a HUGE difference.  One thing I'm still really struggling with is getting my arm up in the air.  It is so painful to try and even get to 90 degrees. This is going to be a slow and steady step by step process.  I am going to try physical therapy soon to help speed up the recovery time and do it safely, so I don't mess up the stitching or the drain.  The feeling in parts of my arm are starting to come back.  Especially around my elbow (thank goodness!) the only problem now is that the nerves are VERY sensitive and just the slightest touch hurts. I don't mind it too much because I'm so thankful I have feeling there again.

My appointment with a new oncologist is set for October 29, he should be able to tell me my options for treatments and what he recommends in my case.  Honestly I'm not to excited about that part.  Every doctor I've talked to has different opinions and they all contradict each other.  Hopefully we will get some sort of straight answer that will help my family and I make a more educated decision.

I'm feeling good. I'm happy I'm improving, but starting to get a bit restless.  Its been hard for me to get to sleep the past few nights and I think its because there's really not much I can do actively at home.  Maybe I'll try riding the stationary bicycle.  I can't wait until I can drive again.  Hopefully not too much longer!!

Thank you again for all the thoughts and prayers!!
I appreciate them SO much and I am feeling each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment