Friday, October 29, 2010

Oncologist

Today I went to the oncologist.  Found out a couple of not so good things, but overall this doctor is definitely the best I've been to so far.  He is very honest about things he knows and doesn't and is leaving the decision for further treatment all up to me.  Telling me the pros and cons, stories of success and failure.  I'm very thankful for that.  I did find out that the cure rate is a bit lower than I originally thought, so there is a higher chance that I will end up doing the interferon treatment.  We have been given maybe one other option, but it doesn't sound very realistic. We are thinking about getting another opinion, but the decision has to be made very quickly to make sure that I can get back to school by next semester.  As many of you know I am not a very good decision maker...so prayers for that would help a lot. :)

I'm feeling nervous.  While everything came out clear in the lymph node dissection, I've had to come to the realization that it is still not over.  This is a struggle that I'm having to deal with mentally more than anything.  I have to be cautious from now on, but I'm not going to let this define my life.  Giving my worries to God for peace is one of the things I've been learning through out this whole process and don't plan on forgetting it now.

On a lighter note, I'm getting my drain out on MONDAY!! :)  SO excited! haha, the fluid has stayed at 30cc in 24 hours for the past 2 days.  Keep up the good work lymph nodes!  I'm slowly getting of the pain meds too.  Now only taking one advil every 5ish hours.  Still working on the flexibility in my arm and also having a bit more feeling in my arm.  The armpit has nothing, but from my elbow to my shoulder there is some feeling now.

I love you all! Thank you for all the love, prayers, and support!
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment